Making changes in the way you eat can be challenging but necessary in order to maintain a healthy life. It prevents development and progression of many diseases including diabetes; and may also cut down the requirement for medications in certain individuals, says Dr. Reema Patel, board certified in Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism and Internal Medicine and Medical Director of the renowned Joslin Diabetes Center affiliate at Raritan Bay Medical Center, with offices in South Amboy and Old Bridge. Call 732-360-4070 for an appointment. Learn about small steps for healthy eating to help you manage your weight.
And try these suggestions from Heather Cunningham, MS, RD, dietitian at the Joslin Diabetes Center at RBMC, for healthy holiday eating:
- Bring your own healthy dish
- Grab a healthy snack, such as carrots and celery, before you go to that holiday party
- Take time to exercise, especially over the holidays
- Cut the sugar by using more vanilla and spices in holiday baking
- Conversation is calorie free! Spend time at parties visiting, not snacking!