Center for Bariatric Surgery
The Center for Bariatric Surgery is a leading NJ bariatric surgery center. Most bariatric procedures are now performed with tiny incisions, resulting in less pain after surgery and faster recoveries. Patients are generally back on their feet in a few days and may resume all activities within three weeks.
The most commonly performed procedures include:
- Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass – The surgeon creates a small stomach pouch, bypasses a section of small intestines and then attaches the lower part of the small intestines directly to the pouch. This technique restricts food intake while the body absorbs fewer calories.
- Adjustable Gastric Banding – A band is placed around the upper stomach to create a smaller pouch, restricting the amount of food the stomach can hold without interfering with the digestive process. The band can be adjusted or removed over time.
- Gastric Sleeve – The surgeon removes approximately 85% of the stomach is removed. This leaves the stomach in a tube or sleeve shape which limits the amount of food that can be eaten at one time and allows the patient to feel fuller sooner. No other part of the digestive system is affected, so it allows for normal digestion and absorption.
Am I Candidate for Surgery?
Candidates for weight loss surgery should meet the following guidelines:
- You are an adult with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or more, or a BMI above 35 with a serious obesity-related medical problem such as diabetes, heart disease or sleep apnea.
- You have been unable to lose weight through non-surgical alternatives, including diet, exercise and medication.
The Center for Bariatric Surgery
530 New Brunswick Avenue
Perth Amboy, NJ 08861